Friday, January 9, 2009

Face

Blackness surrounded the vehicle as I drove. Nothing outside of the range of the headlights was visible. Streetlights were scarce in this neighborhood. In fact, it had very little to offer the inhabitants, other than shelter. The early morning stillness made the crunch of gravel beneath my tires echo loudly. The tiny square house came into view, the third in a row of similar houses.
Turning fully onto the narrow dirt road, I glanced to my left and noticed a scattering of trees and bare dirt area large enough for my vehicle. As I swung the car into the space, my headlights illuminated a camping tent. Frowning, I quickly turned off the headlights, hoping I had not disturbed the occupants. Moving the gear shift to park, I switched off the engine.

Taking a deep breath, I glanced around me. Driving the last half hour in a mindless state, I suddenly realized the time of morning and total darkness surrounding me. 'No one will be up at this hour, have I lost my mind, what am I doing here?', I asked myself. 'This is not safe for a woman alone, I can deliver these items later'. 'Leave', my brain ordered, as a prickling chill ran across my arms. Suddenly realizing the danger I had put myself in, I grabbed at the keys. A shadow of movement in my peripheral vision, washed my whole body with fear. 'Turn the key', I thought, my fingers skimming the dangling keys, as my left hand inched towards the door lock. 'Do not look, just lock the door and get out of here', my mind shouted! Automatically leaning towards the console, away from the driver side window, my heart pounded furiously as my fingers inched upwards pressing the lock. I shifted my eyes towards the window, as a dark face with large jowls and angry eyes leaned towards me. 'Noooo', my mind screamed as I jolted awake. Stark terror rippled through me, as my eyes focused on the ceiling above me. Trembling from the aftershock, blood pounding in my ears, my mind registering the horrifying realization - I knew that face.

No comments: